Biyernes, Agosto 19, 2011

The Maguindanao Experience | Upi, Maguindanao, Philippines

More often than not, people from all over the world have associated Maguindanao with the tragic Ampatuan Massacre. Even before that incident, when we hear the word Maguindanao, "war" would probably be the first thing that would cross our minds - and I'm guilty of that. But, I was wrong (but not totally though, lol), let me share some of my experiences in Maguindanao and take you on its other side - Upi, Maguindanao.


Upi, Maguindanao or North Upi is a third class city in the province of Shariff Kabungsuan, Philippines. 

There are only few (or even close to none) articles available over the internet that speaks about the beauty of Upi, Maguindanao. You can try and search it in Google and all you can see are the basic information about the province. I was so lucky that I got the chance to visit this wonderful place. I owe it to my cousin who's a friend of Ms. Jen Paragas Teves of the Paragas clan.  Ate Jen who's based in Wichita, Kansas, invited my elder cousin, Ate Valynn, to their hometown to shoot for her brother's wedding. Since my cousin was into landscape photography and not that familiar with wedding photography, there came my name, she suggested that she would bring me along as I am more exposed to wedding photography. And so to make the long story short, I had the chance to travel for free - simple joys of being a wedding photographer, wink!. Not to mention, my first airplane ride, lol.  

Jan + Christine Wedding (December 28, 2010)

The Paragas clan is quite famous all over the Maguindanao Province, a Christian family that is not just known because of their lands or wide network of businesses but also because of their humility and charity to the community.  And, we were very lucky that this family was our host during our stay in Cotabato and Upi, Maguindanao. We really felt at home with them, they are very humble and simple with their lifestyle. Thank you!

After the wedding coverage, Ate Jen and her family toured us around their lands and some scenic spots of Kabutoyen, Upi. The place was really amazing, it was as if you are not in the Philipppines (as if I've already been abroad, haha). But really, kidding aside, I didn't expect that Maguindanao has these potential tourist spots.  




Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento